Lord Fraser of Allander
Hugh Fraser (Lord Fraser of Allander) 1903 - 1966 was a retailing entrepreneur. He was Chairman and Managing Director of the House of Fraser from 1926 latterly including Arnotts (1936), Binns (1953) and Harrods (1959).
Other business interests
Fraser was also Chairman of George Outram and Co., publishers of the Glasgow Herald from 1964, Chairman and Managing Director of Scottish and Universal Investments from 1948, and Chairman of John Barker and Co. Ltd from 1957.
Fraser was appointed a peer in 1964. In 1966 he died at his home in Mugdock (near Glasgow), which he had purchased from James Graham, the 6th Duke of Montrose, in 1945. The island of Iona was given to the National Trust for Scotland by his son in Fraser's memory (1979).
Fraser was a class conscious business leader and on his death in 1966 was the Scottish President of the Economic League. From 1965 he was National Treasurer of the Scottish Conservative and Unionist Party.
Neoliberal think tank
- As listed in Who Was Who, 1961-1970, p. 398.
- As listed in the Economic League Forty Sixth Annual Review, 1966.
- As listed in Who Was Who, 1961-1970, p. 399.