Sir Jonathan Phillips was appointed political director of the Northern Ireland Office in 2002 and the permanent secretary in 2005.
In October 2010 he was appointed warden at Keble College, University of Oxford. The role was approved by ACOBA "subject to the condition that, for 12 months from his last day of service, he should not be personally involved in lobbying UK Government Ministers or Crown servants, including Special Advisers, on behalf of his new employer, the normal automatic three-month waiting period being waived".
- BA, St John’s College, University of Cambridge 1973
- PGCE, University of London Institute of Education 1974
- PhD, St John’s College, University of Cambridge 1978
- Sir Jonathan Phillips Keble, Oxford, accessed 27 November 2014
- New Permanent Secretary for Northern Ireland Office, Northern Ireland Office, 23 September 2005.
- Eleventh Report 2009-2010 Advisory Committee on Business Appointments, accessed 27 November 2014