- Food Standards Agency Board member 2000-03
- Social Issues Research Centre Advisor
- Danish Ministry of Foreign affairs: Project evaluator for international projects
- Governor of British Nutrition Foundation (2005 - )
- Board Member, of the UK Food Standards Agency (2000-2003)
- Member of the Committee on Medical Aspects of Food UK (COMA) panel on novel foods.
- Member, Crop post harvest programme research committee (UK)
- Editor-in-Chief, International Journal of Food Sciences and Nutrition.
- Editorial Board Member 1993-1999 British Journal of Nutrition.
- Council Member, British Nutrition Society.
- Academic advisor to King Saudi University, Saudi Arabia, University Kebangsaan, Malaysia, and the Chinese University of Hong Kong.
- Research Advisor, Research Grants Council of Hong Kong.
- Member of the Natural Resources Institute, Crop post-harvest programme, DFID.
- Co-founder Postgraduate Course in Nutrition and Food Science, Oxford Brookes University.
- Member of Overseas Development Administration (ODA) (Now DFID), Committee on Health and Population Research Awards Committee.
- Member of the Scientific Advisory Panel, British Nutrition Foundation.
- General Secretary, Society for the Study of Human Biology (UK) (1995-98).
- Secretary of the International and Public Health Nutrition Group, British Nutrition Society (1994-1998)
- Treasurer, International Commission for the Anthropology of Foods (UK) (1990-94).
- Nutrition contributor to the BBC World service.