James Sorene was appointed as head of communications and official spokesman for the Deputy Prime Minister, Nick Clegg in January 2011.  In July 2015 he was appointed CEO of the Britain Israel Communications and Research Centre.
Sorene previously worked as the deputy director of communications and head of news at UK Department of Health for four years (2007-11) and deputy head of news at the Home Office (2000-2007).  Previous jobs also include, 2006 assistant director, news and strategy at the Home Office, press officer at the Home Office and head of public affairs at the Embassy of Israel. 
Sorene gained a law degree from Queen Mary's University of London and a masters degree from the School of Oriental and African Studies on the politics and history of the Middle East. He believes his areas of expertise lie in 'Islamic extremism, Israeli-Palestinian conflict, Middle East peace process, history and politics of Egypt and Syria.' His Masters thesis (1997) was on 'the history of Jerusalem and its use as a tool in Israeli politics'.
- 2015 Chief Executive Officer, Britain Israel Communications and Research Centre
- 2011 Head of communications and official spokesman for the Deputy Prime Minister Nick Clegg, Cabinet Office
- 2008 Head of news, Department of Health
- 2007 Deputy head of news, Department of Health
- 2006 Deputy head of news, Home Office
- 2005 Assistant director, news and strategy, Home Office
- 2002 Senior press officer, crime and drugs, Home Office
- 2000 Press officer, Home Office
- 1997 Head of public affairs, Embassy of Israel