Michael James (alias)
(Redirected from James Michael (alias))
The Chair of the Undercover Policing Inquiry, Sir John Mitting, has ruled that his real name will be restricted in that Inquiry. He is also referred to by the cipher HN96 (for the N-cipher system, see the N officers page).
As a SDS undercover
In the Undercover Policing Inquiry
- 11 Jan 2018: Inquiry directed that restriction orders applications were to be submitted by the end of Jan 2018 .
- 7 Mar 2018: 'Minded To' - real name cannot be published; application to restrict cover name refused. John Mitting, Chair of the Inquiry, noted that HH96 was concerned about social media intrusion and effect of publicity on them and their family. However, Mitting noted:
- 'There is a strong sterile corridor between the real and cover name. Publication of the cover name would permit members of the target groups and others to provide information about the deployments of HN96. In that event, the Inquiry would likely to be better informed about them. It is not necessary to give effect to the assurances given to HN96 or to the right to respect for private and family life to restrict publication of the cover name'.
- 3 July 2018: cover name published.
- 15 September 2018: open application and date for responses to be set in relation to the application to restrict the real name.
- 2 October 2018: the  applied for by the Metropolitan police to restrict HN96's real name was released, with a deadline for responses of 23 October.
- 8 November 2018: Mitting ruled that the officer's real name will be restricted for the purposes of the Inquiry in line with the reasons set out in the 'Minded To' of 7 March 2018.
- Email to core participants, '20180703_UCPI_to_all_CPs_publishing_HN33_HN96_HN304', Undercover Policing Inquiry, 3 July 2018, referencing update of the webpage UCPI.org.uk/cover-names.
- Sir John Mitting, Applications for restriction orders in respect of the real and cover names of officers of the Special Demonstration Squad and Special Duties Squad Ruling 13, Undercover Policing Inquiry, 8 November 2018.
- Applications for restriction orders in respect of the real and cover names of officers of the Special Operations Squad and the Special Demonstrations Squad: Directions, Undercover Policing Inquiry, 11 January 2018.
- Sir John Mitting, In the matter of section 19(3) of the Inquiries Act 2005. Applications for restriction orders in respect of the real and cover names of officers of the Special Operations Squad and Special Demonstration Squad - 'Minded To' Note 5, Undercover Policing Inquiry, 7 March 2018.
- Kate Wilkinson, Counsel to the Inquiry's Explanatory Note to accompany the Chairman's 'Minded-To' Note 12 in respect of applications for restrictions over the real and cover names of officers of the Special Operations Squad and the Special Demonstration Squad, Undercover Public Inquiry, 13 September 2018.
- Department of Legal Services, Open application for a restriction order (anonymity) re: HN96, Metropolitan Police Service, 25 January 2018 (accessed via UCPI.org.uk).
- Sir John Mitting, Restriction Order Applications by HN4, HN13, HN25, HN30, HN33, HN82, HN96. HN200 and HN304, Undercover Policing Inquiry, 2 October 2018.