Lupton is a donor to the Conservative Party and a member of The Leader's Group, the premier Conservative Party supporter group. Through an annual membership fee of £50,000 donors are able to secure access to leading members of the party.
The Black and White Ball 2015
On 9 February 2015, the Conservative Party held their annual 'Black and White Ball' election fundraiser at the Grosvenor Hotel in London. The event was attended by almost the entire Cabinet, Boris Johnson and George Osborne did not attend due to the G20 event, and by party donors including; hedge fund boss Stanley Fink (Lord Fink), who wants Britain to rival offshore tax havens with an equally generous tax regime; founder of Lycamobile, who paid no corporation tax between 2007 and 2014 despite generating millions in revenue, Subaskaran Allirajah; jewellery tycoon Ranbir Singh Suri and lap dancing club owner Peter Stringfellow. It was reported that Lupton would be expected to host a table.
One Tory donor told the Guardian he had been told if he bought a 'premium table at the event for £15,000 he would expect the company of a cabinet minister' and if 'he paid £5,000 for a standard table, he would expect a junior minister'.
To raise additional money at the event, the Party sold one off prizes. These included, a 10km Iron Man run with Iain Duncan Smith, dinner at home with Michael Gove and his wife, shoe shopping with Theresa May, a meal at the Carlton Club with Sajid Javid and a session of jogging with Nicky Morgan.
Recorded by the Electoral Commission:
|Date||Name of donor||Amount||Donated to||Subsidiary (parties only)|
|13/02/2009||James Lupton||£10,000.00||Conservative Party||Central Party|
|07/05/2009||James Lupton||£15,000.00||Conservative Party||Central Party|
|04/12/2009||James Lupton||£25,000.00||Conservative Party||Central Party|
|19/01/2011||James R Lupton||£5,000.00||Conservative Party||Winchester|
|07/01/2011||James R Lupton||£50,000.00||Conservative Party||Central Party|
|24/02/2012||James R Lupton||£50,000.00||Conservative Party||Central Party|
|17/04/2012||James R Lupton||£4,999.00||Conservative Party||Winchester|
|22/03/2013||James R Lupton||£250,000.00||Conservative Party||Central Party|
|28/06/2013||James R Lupton||£263,600.00||Conservative Party||Central Party|
|19/08/2013||James R Lupton||£250,000.00||Conservative Party||Central Party|
|14/11/2013||James R Lupton||£259,200.00||Conservative Party||Central Party|
|13/02/2014||James R Lupton||£257,500.00||Conservative Party||Central Party|
|16/05/2014||James R Lupton||£5,256.32||Conservative Party||Central Party|
|16/05/2014||James R Lupton||£250,000.00||Conservative Party||Central Party|
|30/09/2014||James R Lupton||£3,310.00||Conservative Party||Central Party|
|30/09/2014||James R Lupton||£256,870.00||Conservative Party||Central Party|
|24/11/2014||James R Lupton||£250,000.00||Conservative Party||Central Party|
|24/11/2014||James R Lupton||£2,500.00||Conservative Party||Bristol East|
|24/11/2014||James R Lupton||£1,800.00||Conservative Party||Central Party|
- Holly Watt, The Tory Leader's Group donor club: 'A chance for like-minded people to talk' Guardian, 4 May 2015, accessed 5 May 2015.
- Jack Blanchard, 'Selling off NHS for profit': Full list of MPs with links to private healthcare firms, Mirror, 17 November 2014, acc 18 November 2014
- Elizabeth Rigby Tories out in force for London fundraising ball Financial Times, 10 February 2015, accessed 11 February 2015
- Rajeev Syal and Rowena Mason Conservative donors pay up to £15,000 for table at election fundraiser The Guardian, 9 February 2015, accessed 11 February 2015
- Rajeev Syal, Rowena Mason and Robert Booth Right bids? Tory auction offers shoe spree with May or 10km run with IDS The Guardian, 10 February 2015, accessed 11 February 2015
- Electoral Commission, Donation Search, accessed 23 February 2015