James Arbuthnot (Lord Arbuthnot of Edrom) was the Conservative MP for Wanstead and Woodford from 1987 to 1997 and North East Hampshire from 1997 to 2015. He decided not to stand in the 2015 general election and was replaced by Ranil Jajawardena.
Shortly after standing down as an MP Arbuthnot, a former defence procurement minister in the 1990s and a member of the House of Commons Defence Committee until 2014, joined the Thales UK Advisory Board 11 May 2015. Upon his appointment, Thales stated that its advisory board members were 'expressly prohibited from lobbying on behalf of Thales UK and are not formal officers of the company'.
Arbuthnot served as a councillor for Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea from 1978 to 1987.
He was raised to the peerage on 1 October 2015. 
Arbuthnot served as MP for Wanstead and Woodford from 1987 to 1997 and for North East Hampshire from 1997. He was re-elected MP for North East Hampshire on a revised boundary in the 6 May 2010 general election.
Arbuthnot served as PPS to: Archie Hamilton as Minister of State for the Armed Forces 1988-90, Peter Lilley as Secretary of State for Trade and Industry 1990-92; Assistant Government Whip 1992-94; Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State, Department of Social Security 1994-95; Minister of State for Procurement, Ministry of Defence 1995-97; Member, Shadow Cabinet 1997-2001: Opposition Chief Whip 1997-2001; Member, Intelligence and Security Committee 2001-05; Shadow Secretary of State for Trade 2003-05; Shadow Minister for Trade and Industry 2005.
He has been chair of the Defence Select Committee since 2005.
- Address: House of Commons, London, SW1A 0AA
- Telephone: 020 7219 4649
- Fax: 020 7219 3910
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Web & Social media
- Website: http://www.jamesarbuthnot.com
- BBC News Tory MP James Arbuthnot to step down for 'new challenge', 6 June 2011, accessed 11 May 2015.
- Rt Hon James Arbuthnot, parliament.uk, accesed 14 October 2010.
- About CFI, Conservative Friends of Israel, accessed 14 October 2012.
- Sarah Priddy, PIL: Current Members Related to Other Current or Former Members - Commons Library Standard Note, 13 September 2013.