The Histadrut Ovdim Leumit or General Federation of Workers in Israel (GFWI) is an Israeli labour federation.
- Iskoor steel company, 51 percent of which was owned by Histadrut’s Koor Industries and 49 percent by the South African Steel Corporation, for example, manufactured steel for South Africa’s armed forces. Partly finished steel was shipped from Israel to South Africa, enabling the apartheid state to escape tariffs. Other Histadrut companies such as Tadiran and Soltam were equally complicit in supplying South Africa with weapons. Histadrut also helped build the electronic wall between South Africa/Namibia and neighbouring African states in an attempt to keep our liberation fighters out. This wall was, in many ways, a precursor of Israel’s apartheid wall.
- Dani Ben Simhon, The Unmaking of the Histadrut, Challenge 88, November/December 2004.
- Maxine Dovere, Histadrut Leader Seeks Cooperation, Unity with International Labor, The Algemeiner, 15 March 2011.
- General Federation of Workers in Israel (GFWI) Histadrut Ovdim Leumit, accessed 24 February 2012.
- Address by Zwelinzima Vavi, General Secretary of the COSATU to the Russell Tribunal on Palestine, District Six Museum, Cape Town, COSATU, 5 November 2011.