Harry Kuiper chaired the European Food Safety Authority GMO Panel, the group of experts responsible for the risk assessment of genetically modified (GM) crops., from 2003 until 2012 when he was replaced by Joe Perry.
A 2010 report from German NGO Testbiotech notes:
- Just before he joined the EFSA, he worked for a so-called Task Force established by the International Life Sciences Institute (ILSI)... Even after starting work at EFSA, Kuiper is still currently active within ILSI.
- Harry Kuiper, and a second expert from the same panel, Gijs Kleter, have for years been working with the International Life Sciences Institute (ILSI). They cooperate with representatives of companies such as Monsanto, DuPont, Dow AgroSciences, Syngenta and Bayer, within projects that aim to soften criteria for risk assessment for genetically engineered plants.
- EFSA, 2009. Opinion of the Scientific Committee/Scientific Panel on Application (Reference EFSA-GMO-UK-2005-11) for the placing on the market of insect-resistant genetically modified maize MIR604 event, for food and feed uses, import and processing under Regulation (EC) No 1829/2003 from Syngenta Seeds S.A.S on behalf of Syngenta Crop Protection AG, EFSA Journal, 21 July 2009
- Wageningen UR, 2013. dr.ir. HA (Harry) Kuiper, accessed 12 January 2013
- Testbiotech (2010), "European Food Safety Authority: A playing field for the biotech industry," Testbiotech report, p2, accessed 9 January 2013.
- TestBiotech (2010), "EFSA: a playing field for biotech industry," accessed 26 Mar 2011