Global Public Affairs Institute
The Global Public Affairs Institute was a corporate funded organisation which appears to have been closed down at the end of 2005. Its website is no longer active and the last record of its webpages on the Web archive is 26 December 2005.
According to a news release in 1992:
- Wilfred D. Koplowitz has been appointed executive director of the Global Public Affairs Institute, Loet A. Velmans, chairman of the institute, announced today. Koplowitz, retired director of international public affairs at Citibank, had previously served on the institute's board of directors and advisory council. He succeeds James Armstrong, former AT&T executive, who will devote full time to his communications consulting practice.
- "The Global Public Affairs Institute is delighted that Bill Koplowitz will assume this position enabling him to apply fully his experience and energies to expanding the institute's program and membership," Velmans said. "We propose to strengthen the institute's contribution to the public affairs capabilities of member com-panies in the increasingly global marketplace in which they operate."
- Together with Edward R. Block, a former senior vice president for public affairs at AT&T, Velmans, retired CEO of Hill and Knowlton, Inc. founded the institute in 1988. The institute has conducted a series of intensive, highly acclaimed seminars for corporate public affairs and communications executives focusing on key international issues directly affecting the business community and on key communications functions for which public affairs staff is responsible. The member companies include AT&T, Boeing, Citicorp, Exxon Corporation, General Electric, Johnson & Johnson, Warner Lambert, Cigna Corporation, Hill and Knowlton, Burson Marsteller, Rockwell International, Bristol-Myers Squibb, General Motors and Nippon Telephone and Telegraph.
- A cooperative arrangement with the European Centre for Public Affairs at Oxford University resulted in a jointly sponsored seminar at Oxford in 1991. A second version of this seminar will be presented Sept. 13-17, 1992, also at Oxford, and is open to qualified executives of multinational corporations. The institute is conducting a research project to identify and analyze the methods and structure through which multinational companies are managing their public affairs response to the globalizing trends in the world market.
- Koplowitz served for 30 years in various foreign affairs positions at the Department of State, the Central Intelligence Agency and the Defense Department with assignments in Washington and overseas. He retired from government in 1979 and ran an international affairs consultancy until his appointment to Citibank in 1981. Koplowitz earned a B.A. from Yale University and an M.A. from Johns Hopkins School of Advanced International Studies (SAIS). During his government services, he was a member of the senior seminar in foreign policy at the Department of State and the faculty of the National Defense University.
- The institute operates in association with New York University. The deans of NYU's School of Business and faculty of Arts and Sciences sit on its board of directors. The institute is located at 729 Seventh Avenue, Eighth floor, New York, N.Y. 10019. CONTACT: Bill Koplowitz of Global Public Affairs Institute, 212-921-2262
As of December 2005 the Institute listed the following financial supporters:
- Abbott Laboratories
- Affymetrix, Inc.
- ALCAN Ltd. - Canada
- Altria Corporate Services, Inc.
- American International Group, Inc.
- Bechtel International
- Biotechnology Industry Organization (Bio)
- BP p.l.c.
- Bristol-Myers Squibb Company
- Coca-Cola Enterprises Inc.
- Dana Corporation
- The Dow Chemical Company
- Eaton Corporation
- Eckerd Corporation
- Enron Corporation
- ExxonMobil Corporation
- Ford Motor Credit Company
- General Electric Co.
- Johnson & Johnson
- Northwest Airlines
- Novo Nordisk A/S - Denmark
- Pfizer Inc.
- Pharmacia Corporation
- Pharmaceutical Research and Manufacturers of America (PhRMA)
- Praxair, Inc.
- Schering-Plough Corporation
- Serono International S.A. - Switzerland
- Shell Oil Company
- Unilever U.S. Inc.
- Unisys Corporation