Eliot Engel (born 18 February, 1947) is an American politician and a member of the US House of Representatives. He represents the 16th congressional district of New york.
Engel is a prominent supporter of Israel and of the settlement project. In 2011 he sponsored the Jerusalem Embassy and Recognition Act that called for the US to recognise Jerusalem as the undivided capital of Israel and called on the American government to move its embassy from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem.
In 2014 he stated that ‘my heart tells me that every Jew has the right to live in any place in Israel and that includes Judea and Samaria...’
In July 2014 he appeared at a pro-Israel rally in New York with controversial anti-Muslim activist Pamela Geller. The Southern Poverty Law Centre has designated Geller's Stop Islamization of America organisation as a ‘hate group’.
In 2008, Engel was criticised for attending a conference sponsored by Christians United for Israel, led by the controversial Rev. John Hagee who has been criticised for making anti-semitic remarks.
- Clarion Fund - appears in Rabbi Raphael Shore's forthcoming Iranium
- Foundation for the Defense of Democracies
- Israel Allies Foundation - US Caucus co-Chair
- International Council of Jewish Parliamentarians - Chair
- Israel Allies Foundation Website Co-Chair Eliot Engel. Accessed 9 October 2015.
- Ira Glunts, 'Undermining Kerry, Democratic Rep Engel says West Bank is Israel', Mondoweiss, 19 January 2014, accessed 9 October 2015
- Alex Kane, 'Democrat Eliot Engel appears at pro-Israel rally featuring anti-Muslim activist Pamela Geller', Mondoweiss, 21 July 2014, accessed 9 October 2015
- Southern Poverty Law Center Website Pamela Geller. Accessed 9 October 2015.
- Staff, 'Engel taking heat', The Riverdale Press, 5 June 2008, accessed 9 October 2015