Born in 1942, he graduated MA from Aberdeen University and MBA from Manchester Business School.
Don is currently Chairman of the US company, FormScape Inc. FormScape is dedicated to helping companies streamline business information processes across their customers, suppliers and employees. FormScape’s document process automation solutions enable companies to easily and rapidly create, manage and communicate critical business documents seamlessly at the convergence of print, electronic and multiple data systems.
Don is also currently an independent director of Qualcomm. Don was Chairman of the London Stock Exchange from May 2000 until July 2003. Under his leadership, the London Exchange – the most international of all Exchanges with more than 470 companies from over 60 countries – set itself the objective to be the clear “market of choice” in the European time zone.
- 1967 to 1970 Alcan Aluminium, Newport - Finance, systems and marketing project work.
- 1972 to 1977 McKinsey & Co. Inc - Consultant.
- 1977 to 1980 Times Newspapers - Commercial Director and from 1979, General Manager of The Sunday Times.
- 1980 to 1984 Pearson plc - Managing Director (Finance Administration and Planning) of information and entertainment division.
- 1984 to 1989 Virgin Group plc - Managing Director.
- 1986 to 1989 Wandsworth Health Authority - Chairman.
- 1989 to 1993 National Health Service in Scotland - Chief Executive.
- 1994 to 1995 Christian Salvesen plc - Non Executive Director.
- 1993 to 1998 Office of Telecommunications - Director General.
- 1997 to 2000 Action 2000 - UK Government's Millennium Bug Campaign Chairman.
- 1998 to 2000 UK Banking Review - Chairman.
- 1999 to 2004 SMG plc - Chairman.
- 2000 to 2003 London Stock Exchange - Chairman.
- ^ Lyceum Capital Website, Our Team, http://www.westpe.com/team/sec.asp?pag_id=57
- ^ London Stock Exchange, http://www.londonstockexchange-ir.com/lse/news/releases/2002/2002-10-07/