Derek Twigg has been the Labour Party MP for Halton since 1997. He was Parliamentary Under-Secretary (Department for Education and Skills) (Schools) 2004-05, Parliamentary Under-Secretary (Department for Transport) 2005-06, and Parliamentary Under-Secretary (Ministry of Defence) (Veterans) 2006-08.
In the 2015 general election twig was re-elected once again, gaining a majority of 20,285. 
Stance on frackingINEOS by the Oil and Gas Authority under the 14th licensing round in 2015. There are plans for two shale wells, tow hrz frac wells and 2D and 3D seismic surveying; no applications are currently underway. 
Twigg has a mixed voting record on fracking. 
- 26 January 2015: voted in favour of making fracking companies apply for an environmental permit before conducting exploratory drilling. He was absent for a vote on an amendment to the Infrastructure Bill to include an 18 month moratorium on fracking.
- 11 February 2015: voted against requiring more pre-conditions for where fracking can take place.
- 16 December 2015: voted against weakening regulations on fracking in protected areas and national parks.
- Derek Twigg, www.parliament.uk, accessed 24 August 2013.
- Derek Twigg Express, accessed 19 May 2015
- Oil and gas: licensing rounds, GOV.uk, accessed 14 November 2016.
- TheyWorkForYou | Derek Twigg, TheyWorkForYou, accessed 28 December 2016.
- Overseas territories APPG Register Feb 16, www.parliament.uk, accessed 18 February 2016