Porter was briefly Energy UK's first chief executive from April until September 2012 when Angela Knight took over.
He is a former director of the UK Parliamentary Renewable and Sustainable Energy Group (PRASEG).
According to a Worldwide Business Research profile:
- In 1987 his public relations company began working for the AEP's predecessor, the Association of Independent Electricity Producers. In 1991 he became the association's chief executive.
- In the 1990s, David served on the Executive Committee of the Electricity Pool of England and Wales, the DTI Renewable Energy Advisory Committee and the Government's "Foresight Energy Futures Task Force".
Porter has previously been:
- a board member of the European electricity body "Eurelectric"
- a director of the Parliamentary Renewable and Sustainable Energy Group ("PRASEG");
- a member of the Micropower Council
- David Porter, 'Electricity supply: the British experiment'. Mereo Books, 2014. ISBN 978-1-86151-385-4
- Melissa Jones and Andy Rowell, Access all areas: Westminster's (vast) fracking lobby exposed, 29 April 2015.
- On The Record, New Review, August 1999