David Carter (education)
The National Schools Commissioner oversees 8 Regional Schools Commissioners, which in turn encourage schools to become academies, find and oversee school sponsors, and monitor standards in academy schools and school chains. Critics see them as “behind-the-scenes arms-twisters” to pursue the Department of Education's plans to force all English state schools into academy status by 2022.
- Regional Schools Commissioner for the South West.
- 2013: received a knighthood for services to education
- 2007-14: CEO of the Cabot Learning Federation, a group of 12 schools
- 2004: principal of John Cabot City Technology College in Bristol
- 1997: headteacher of Cirencester Deer Park School in Gloucestershire
- 1983: began teaching
- David Carter, Department for Education profile, accessed July 2016
- Warwick Mansell, Government presses on with plan for all-academy England, Guardian, 14 June 2016