Havard was vice-chairman of the Commons Defence Select Committee until 2012, when he resigned as a result of a dispute during a visit to the Falklands.
Harvard decided not to contest the 2015 general election due to him reaching retirement age soon and wanting someone new to come in and be involved in the debate for constitutional change and greater devolution for Wales. He was replaced by Gerald Jones who held the seat by 11,513 votes.
- Merthyr MP Dai Havard was paid thousands in rent deal, Wales on Sunday, 31 May 2009.
- Brendan Carlin, Did Labour's 'Dai Basra' lose job because he was upset over a missed horse ride?, Daily Mail, 17 March 2012
- Mr Dai Havard, www.parliament.uk, accessed 23 March 2013.
- Dai Harvard, BBC news, 17 October 2002.
- Brendan Carlin, Did Labour's 'Dai Basra' lose job because he was upset over a missed horse ride?, Daily Mail, 17 March 2012.
- BBC News Labour MP Dai Havard to stand down at next election, 24 September 2014, accessed 15 May 2015.
- BBC News Merthyr Tydfil and Rhymney, accessed 15 May 2015.