Charles Kennedy was the Liberal Democrats member of Parliament (MP) for Ross, Cromarty and Skye (1983-1997), Ross, Skye and Inverness West (1997-2005) and Ross, Skye and Lochaber (2005-2015) and the leader of the Lib Dems from 1999 to 2006.
On 2 June 2015 Kennedy passed away from a suspected heart attack.
The following is an excerpt from a question-and-answer session in which members of the public questioned Kennedy, published in The Independent (UK):
- Q: Is there life for you beyond politics? What are your plans for the future?
- A: I'm relieved to say that there has always been, since I was first elected aged 23 back in 1983, life for me beyond politics. I subscribe to Denis Healey's view that politicians need a hinterland, and I'm fortunate to have several. Since ceasing to be leader I've rejoined The House Magazine (Westminster's weekly publication) as an associate editor. I've also been visiting Russia through the Westminster Foundation for Democracy, offering Lib Dem ideas to opposition parties there.
- BBC News Ross, Skye & Lochaber, accessed 15 May 2015.
- Nicholas Watt and Severin Carrell Charles Kennedy: UK political leaders join forces with heartfelt tributes Guardian, 2 June 2015, accessed 3 June 2015.
- Charles Kennedy: You Ask The Questions, The Independent, 31 July 2006, accessed 15 Dec 2009