The Backorny Group is a Washington based bipartisan Government affairs firm which primarily serves corporate and trade associations.
Their advertised services include...
- Government Relations
- Issue Management
- Political Outreach
Their 'Key Practice Areas' are describes as...
- Agriculture / Food Policy
- Appropriations / Procurement
- Energy Policy
- Financial Services / Insurance
- Healthcare Policy
- Telecommunications / Technology
- Trade / International Commerce
- Tax Policy
- Transportation Policy
The Barchony Group boast of strong Republican and Democratic ties in the U.S. House of Representatives, U.S. Senate and in the Administration.
In 2008, the staff of the Bockorny Group are listed as...
- David A Bockorny - Chairman and Chief Executive Officer. Bockorny biography descibes how he has been a principal in the firm for nearly 20 years and that his 'tenure as the leader of the Bockorny Group has involved him in virtually every major industry and political battle in Congress over the past 20 years'. Bockorny has also served Senator James Abdnor of South Dakota, was Special Assistant for Legislative Affairs for President Ronald Reagan(where he was responsibile for implementing the Reagan Administration’s legislative agenda in the House) and was Director of Congressional Liaison for President George H.W. Bush (in the 1992 Presidential Campaign), He also lobbyied on behalf of the National Association of Realtors ('the nation’s largest real estate advocacy group where he served as Staff Vice President for Legislative Liaison from 1981 to 1985'). Bockorny has been named as a top “K Street” lobbyist by The Hill.
- Brenda B Reese - Reese's biography describes how she joined the the Bockorny Group after 14 years on Capitol Hill where she served Congressmen John Boehner (R-OH), Dick Armey (R-TX) and Jerry Lewis (R-CA).
- Chuck Crowders - Crowders joined the Bockorny Group in 2007. He is described as being 'a 20-year member of the Tax Executive Institute' and having 'long-standing relationships with members of the Senate Finance and House Ways and Means Committees'. Crowders previously served AT&T (where he helped to establish AT&T subsidiary, "American Bell”), was Vice President and Head of Avaya Inc. (Global Government Affairs), was assistant manager in the Comptroller's organization in Ohio and served Lucent Technologies governmental affairs team.
- Melissa A Schulman - Schulman joined the Bockorny Group in 1998. She previously served almost 14 years of service in the U.S. House of Representatives, was Executive Director of the Democratic Caucus, was Policy Director to Congressman Steny H Hoyer (D-MD), and worked for Representatives Thomas Manton and Geraldine Ferraro.
- Martin DePoy - DePoy joined the Bockorny Group in 2005. He previously served as Vice President for Governmental Relations at the National Association of Real Estate Investment Trust (NAREIT), led the Coalition to Insure Against Terrorism (CIAT), served the National Association of Realtors (NAR) and was legislative assistant to U.S. Senator Gordon J Humphrey (R-NH).
- P Scott Shearer - Shearer is described as having served as co-chairman of the Agricultural Coalition for U.S.-China Trade and co-chairman of the Agricultural Coalition for the Trade Promotion Authority (TPA). In 1999 he became a private sector member of the U.S. delegation to the World Trade Organization (WTO). Prior to 2003, Shearer was Director of National Relations for Farmland Industries Inc., was executive director of the National Corn Growers Association (in the mid 1980's) and was legislative assistant to Senator Alan J Dixon (IL).
- Andrew Dodson - Dodson joined the Bockorny Group in 2005. Dodson previously served as Washington Representative for the National Beer Wholesalers Association (NBWA) (where he represented the beer industry before Congress and the Administration), served the Blue Dog Coalition, the Democratic Leadership Council, the New Democrat Coalition PAC and was regional finance director at the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee (DCCC) . Ddodson is descibed as having 'worked for several Democratic members of the Texas Delegation including then Representative Bill Sarpalius and Max Sandlin'.
- Michaela Sims - Sims is described as having a key role in the Senate Centrist Coalition. She joined the Bockorny Group in 2007 'after serving nearly ten years in the Senate' (most recently as Legislative Counsel for Nebraska Senator Ben Nelson). She also served as Legislative Director and Legislative Counsel for former Nebraska Senator Bob Kerrey.
- Sander Lurie - Lurie is described as having worked for 17 years in the United States Senate where he served as Chief of Staff for Senators Debbie Stabenow and Frank Lautenberg. Prior to this Lurie worked at the Congressional Research Service and Cassidy and Associates.
- Todd Thorpe - Thorpe joined the Bockorny Group in 2006 after serving in various positions on Capitol Hill for more than 8 years. He was previously the Chief of Staff for Utah Congressman Chris Cannon and worked for former Representative Jim Hansen of Utah and United States Senator John Ensign of Nevada.
- Diane Major - Major joined the Bockorny Group in 2005. Prior to joining the firm, major served as the primary health care policy analyst for the Senate Republican Policy Committee (RPC), served as senior associate director of federal relations for the American Hospital Association (AHA) and worked for Congressman/Senator Craig Thomas.
- Kendall Van Pool - Prior to joining the Bockorny Group, Van Pool was a professional staff member of the Senate Special Committee on Aging and a key member of the Senate Finance Committee. He also worked for Representative George R Nethercutt Jr. (R-WA) and Representative Jennifer Dunn (R-WA)
In 2008, the Bockorny Group list the following as a 'representative' list of their clients...
- Abbott Laboratories
- Agri Beef Co.
- Agribusiness Coalition for Foreign Market Development
- American Beverage Association
- American Hospital Association
- American Resort Development Association (ARDA)
- Americans For Secure Retirement
- Animal Health Institute
- Biocrude Limited
- Boehringer Ingelheim Pharmaceuticals
- CVS Caremark
- Chicago Board Options Exchange
- Coalition to Insure Against Terrorism
- Digital Media Association (DiMA)
- FOX/News Corporation
- Immigration Works
- Lewis and Clark Regional Water System
- Meat and Livestock Australia
- National Association of Real Estate Investment Trusts (NAREIT)
- National Business Aviation Association
- National Beef Packing Company
- National Pork Producers Council
- Pacific Pulmonary Services
- Sanford Health System
- Smithfield Foods
- State of South Dakota
- South Dakota Corn Growers
- South Dakota State University
- Tax Resources
- Travelers Companies Inc.
- United States Chamber of Commerce – Institute for Legal Reform
- U.S. Premium Beef