Blackwells Publishing Ltd
Blackwell Publishing was formed by the 2001 merger of two Oxford-based academic publishing companies, Blackwell Science (founded 1939 as Blackwell Scientific Publishing) and Blackwell Publishers (founded 1922), which had their origins in the nineteenth century Blackwell's family bookshop and publishing business. The merger created the world's leading learned society publisher, partnered with 665 academic and professional societies. Blackwell published over 805 journals and 650 text and reference books in 2006, across a wide range of academic, medical, and professional subjects, and had 990 staff members with offices in the United States, UK, Australia, China, Denmark, Germany, Singapore and Japan.
On November 17, 2006, John Wiley & Sons announced it had 'entered into a definitive agreement to acquire' Blackwell Publishing. The acquisition was completed in February 2007, at a purchase price of £572 million. Blackwell Publishing was merged into Wiley's Global Scientific, Technical, and Medical business to create Wiley-Blackwell. From June 30, 2008, the journals previously on Blackwell Synergy are delivered through Wiley InterScience.
- Science Media Centre - Blackwell's donated to the SMC in the years 2005-2008 inclusive.
- Wiley to Acquire Blackwell Publishing (Holdings) Ltd., John Wiley & Sons, Inc., November 17, 2006
- Interscience.wiley.com, Wiley-Blackwell. June 16, 2008.