Barry Tomkins (alias)
Sir John Mitting, Chair of the Undercover Policing Inquiry, has ruled the officer's real name will be restricted by the Inquiry.
As an SDS undercover officer
In the Undercover Public Inquiry
- 11 January 2018, directions issued for any application for restriction orders to be submitted by 30 & 31 January 2018 for MPS and Designated Lawyers Team respectively.
- 29 January 2018: application over real name only made by Metropolitan Police Service.
- 7 March 2018: application to restrict real name only, which Mitting indicated he was minded to restrict, stating
- HN106 is a sexagenarian. He was initially deployed against one group, but then on his own (authorised) initiative, infiltrated another between 1979 and 1983. The deployments are of interest to the Inquiry. Publication of his cover name should permit members of the target groups and others to provide and/or give evidence about them. He was promised lifetime anonymity by senior officers before deployment. This is a factor of some weight in his case. Members of the targeted groups pose no risk to his safety. He is concerned about the possible impact of media intrusion into his life and that of his wider family. Publication of his real name is not necessary to permit the terms of reference of the Inquiry to be fulfilled. His cover name will be published. In those circumstances, effect should be given to the promise made to him; and the interference which would be occasioned by publication of his real name in his right to respect for private and family life would be neither proportionate justified under Article 8 (2) of the Convention.
- 26 June 2018: details of cover name and target group released.
- 9 July 2018: provisional decision to restrict real name. It was directed that any objections to Mitting's intention to grant the restriction order to be made by 20 July 2018.
- 30 July 2018: final ruling that HN106's real name cannot be published.
- Email to core participants, '20180626_UCPI_to_all_CPs_publishing_HN80_HN88_HN90_HN106_HN340', Undercover Policing Inquiry, 26 June 2018, referencing update of the webpage UCPI.org.uk/cover-names.
- Sir John Mitting, Applications for restriction orders in respect of the real and cover names of officers of the Special Operations Squad and the Special Demonstration Squad: Minded to note 12 and Ruling 10, Undercover Policing Inquiry, 30 July 2018.
- Applications for restriction orders in respect of the real and cover names of officers of the Special Operations Squad and the Special Demonstrations Squad: Directions, Undercover Policing Inquiry, 11 January 2018.
- Open application for a restriction order (anonymity) re: HN106, Undercover Public Inquiry, 29 January 2018, published 9 July 2018 via ucpi.org.uk.
- Sir John Mitting, In the matter of section 19(3) of the Inquiries Act 2005. Applications for restriction orders in respect of the real and cover names of officers of the Special Operations Squad and Special Demonstration Squad - 'Minded To' Note 5, Undercover Policing Inquiry, 7 March 2018 (accessed 10 March 2018).
- Publication of documents relating to anonymity applications: National Public Order Intelligence Unit & Special Demonstration Squad, Undercover Policing Inquiry, 9 July 2018.
- Sir John Mitting, Applications for restriction orders in respect of real and cover names of officers of the Special Operations Squad and the Special Demonstration Squad and of the National Public Order Intelligence Unit - Directions, Undercover Policing Inquiry, 9 July 2018.