Sandip Verma (Baroness) was appointed Parliamentary Under Secretary of State for the Department of Energy and Climate Change in September 2012. She is a Conservative Party member in the House of Lords and a former businesswoman.
In 2006 Verma was raised to the peerage as Baroness Verma of Leicester in the County of Leicestershire. She was Opposition Whip from 2006 to 2010 and then Government Whip following the 2010 general election.
Before becoming Parliamentary Under Secretary of State for DECC, Baroness Verma was Spokesperson for Cabinet Office, International Development, Women and Equalities and Business Innovation and Skills.
In August 2016, Baroness Verma sought the advice of the Advisory Committee on Business Appointments (ACOBA) on returning as director of her family business DCS (UK) Ltd, a social care provider, a position she stood down from on becoming an MP. The committee found that the role would involve no contact with her former department and that she had no dealings with the organisation while in office. She took up the position in September 2016. 
- Community Security Trust Advisory board, circa 2010.
Contact, Resources and Notes
- New regulations on security at civil nuclear construction sites, DECC news release quoting Verma, published 7 February 2013, acc 15 August 2013
- Baroness Verma webchat: Geological disposal in west Cumbria, Department of Energy & Climate Change, Published 17 January 2013
- New Parliamentary Under Secretary of State visits Sellafield, Nuclear Decommissioning Authority newsletter, 04 October 2012
- Baroness Verma ProfileGov.UK, accessed 25 September 2015
- Summary of business appointments applications - Baroness Verma, GOV.uk, 12 October 2016, accessed 17 October 2016.