Austin Mitchell was the Labour Party member of Parliament (MP) for Great Grimsby from 1977 to 2015. His political interests are listed as economics, media, fishing industry, agriculture, poverty, accountancy, legal reform, European Union, electoral reform, constitutional reform and small businesses. 
Mitchell received criticism when in February 2015 he dismissed UKIP's chances of winning his seat in the Great Grimsby constituency, saying that Labour would win the seat 'even' if it had selected a 'raving raving alcoholic sex paedophile' as its candidate.
- Austin Mitchell MP www.parliament.uk, accessed 29 March 2015
- Humberside Veteran Labour MP Austin Mitchell to step down BBC News, 16 April 2014, accessed 15 May 2015.
- BBC News Great Grimsby, accessed 15 May 2015.
- Jamie Merrill Labour MP Austin Mitchell: 'Even if we selected a raving alcoholic sex paedophile we wouldn't lose Grimsby' Independent, 21 February 2015, accessed 30 March 2015
- Rail APPG,www.parliament.uk, accessed 16 November 2015