Alcohol in Moderation
The website of Alcohol in Moderation (AIM) says it is
- A consumer site about sensible drinking, government guidelines and your health.
The founder chairman of AIM was Peter Duff (1928-2009).
The AIM website states:
- Alcohol in Moderation (AIM) was formed in 1991 following the debate on ‘Responsible drinking and Health’ in the European Parliament. In 1989 as Director of the Robert Mondavi Alcohol Initiative Peter [Duff] negotiated Federal Agricultural Support (FAS) funds via the Californian Wine Institute for three European conferences on social issues relating to alcohol and society, London, Brussels and Strasbourg. AIM’s foundation came at the end of the third event as a vehicle for communicating on sensible drinking and health.
Record and controversies
Background of conflicts
According to the AIM website as of June 2009, the AIM Social Scientific and Medical Council consists of the following people:
- Helena Conibear – UK – Executive Director
- Professor Alan Crozier – UK – Professor of Plant Biochemistry and Human Nutrition at the University of Glasgow
- Professor R. Curtis Ellison MD – USA – Professor of Medicine & Public Health and Director, Institute on Lifestyle & Health at Boston University School of Medicine
- Harvey E. Finkel MD – USA – Clinical Professor of Medicine at Boston University School of Medicine, Author and contributing Editor to the Wine Educator and Wine News
- Tedd M. Goldfinger, DO, FACC, FCCP - USA – Clinical Assistant Professor of Medicine, University of Arizona and Senior Cardiologist
- Professor Dwight Heath - USA – Professor of Anthropology at Brown University.
- Professor O. F. W. James – UK PROFESSOR O F W JAMES - UK – Head of Medicine, University of Newcastle
- Christopher Jarnvall – Sweden – Director of the consultancy group Res Politica and Publisher of Alcohol Update.
- Arthur Klatsky MD – USA – Senior Consultant in Cardiology and an Adjunct Investigator at the Division of Research at the Kaiser Permanente Medical Center, Oakland, California
- Dr Geoff Lowe – UK – Honorary Senior Fellow in Clinical Psychology, at the Postgraduate Medical School, University of Hull and chartered health psychologist
- Ellen Mack MD – USA
- Dr Philip Norrie – Australia – Founder/President of The Australian Medical Friends of Wine, General Medical Practitioner, wine/medical historian and author
- Professor Jean Marc Orgogozo – France – The University of Bordeaux
- Stanton Peele - USA
- Dr Erik Skovenborg – Denmark – The Scandanavian Medical Alcohol Board
- Creina Stockley MSc, MBA - Australia – Health and Regulatory Manager, The Australian Wine Research Institute
- Dr Thomas Stuttaford – Medical Correspondent to the Times and author.
Conflicts of interest
- Address: AIM - Alcohol in Moderation, PO BOX 2282, Bath BA1 2QY, UK
- Tel: (44) (0) 1225 471 444
- Fax: (44) (0) 1225 427 444
- E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org