He left government to become master of Corpus Christi College, University of Cambridge in October 2006, the move was "unconditionally approved" by ACOBA. In August 2007 he was appointed consultant at Cisco Systems, which was approved "subject to the condition that, for 12 months from his last day of service, he should not be personally involved in lobbying Government Ministers or officials on Cisco’s behalf" and professor of urban and regional systems, University College London which was given "unconditional approval".
He is also chair of the lead expert group for the Government Office for Science Foresight project on the future of cities, chair of the Home Office Science Advisory Council, a member of Academia Europaea, a fellow of the British Academy, an academician of the Academy of Social Sciences and a fellow of the Royal Society.
- Chair, Arts and Humanities Research Council, 2007-2013
- Senior associate, Oakleigh Consulting, 2008. Given "unconditional approval" by ACOBA to take up the role.
- Board member, National Research Foundation, United Arab Emirates, 2008. Given "unconditional approval" by ACOBA to take up the role.
- In 2010 he chaired the Wilson Review with the Higher Education Funding Council for England on the Joint Information Systems Committee (JISC).
- Alan Wilson Swansea University, accessed 13 November 2014
- Ninth Report 2006-2008 Advisory Committee on Business Appointments, accessed 13 November 2014
- Tenth Report 2008-2009 Advisory Committee on Business Appointments, accessed 26 November 2014
- Wilson Review Joint Information Systems Committee, accessed 13 November 2014